What is the Church Electoral Roll?
The Church Electoral Roll is the parish church’s register of electors; it is the list of those qualified to attend and to vote at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting where the elections take place for:
a) Parochial Church Council;
b) Parish representatives on the Deanery Synod.
Any person entitled to attend the Annual Parochial Church Meeting may raise any question of parochial or general church interest.
How is the Electoral Roll kept up to date?
The Electoral Roll is revised each year before the Annual Parochial Church Meeting.
Every six years the Electoral Roll is completely renewed. In a year of renewal, no names are carried over from the old roll and everyone must make a new application to be included on the new roll.
How is the Electoral Roll publicised?
We are required to keep a copy on the notice board in church, but for data security reasons this lists members by name only, not address. A full list with addresses and date of joining is kept in the Church Office.
How do I apply to be entered on the new roll?
In accordance with the Church Representation Rules anyone who wishes to have their name on the Electoral Roll must complete a form of application (see link below for a copy) and return this to the Church Office.
How do I know if I am eligible to apply?
Under the Church Representation Rules, you are eligible to apply if you:
(1) are baptised and aged 16 or over;
(2) have signed a form of application for enrolment;
(1) a member of the Church of England (or of a Church in communion with the Church of England) and am resident in the parish.
(2) a member of the Church of England (or of a Church in communion with the Church of England) and, not being resident in the parish, have habitually attended public worship in the parish during the period of six months prior to enrolment.
(3) a member in good standing of a Church (not in communion with the Church of England) which subscribes to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity and also declare themself to be a member of the Church of England and have habitually attended public worship in the parish during the period of six months prior to enrolment.
Any queries should be sent to the Church Office or to Janet M Martin, Church Electoral Roll Officer